Saturday, July 23, 2011

Leaving for Thailand

I woke up at 7am on June 29th so that I could end up in Thailand at 11:20pm on June 30th. I like to be prepared. Flying Delta was a much better experience than I've ever had on any other airlines. It might also be because it was an international flight. When I discovered the in-flight entertainment options I spent more than an hour trying to determine whether or not clicking play would result in a secret charge on my credit card. I ended up becoming so bored that I didn't care what they charged me and hit play to watch the Adjustment Bureau. Thank god they didn't charge me because I would have been extremely pissed to pay to watch that god-awful movie. I ended up watching the silent and edited version of Black Swan on the screen next to me for most of it. Even without sound it was more interesting.


I was deeply dismayed to discover that when you put hundreds of people in a tube in the sky for 10 hours and give them the option of continuous sunlight or not, they choose not. We were in a cave for 10 hours straight while the sun stayed up they entire flight. I was in the lucky circumstance of having an empty seat next to me so I had control over the window and didn't have to harass someone every time I had to pee. I attempted to peek out my window to see what was below but it cast a vast and unbearably bright light across the plane and I'm pretty sure I could hear all the people begin to sizzle and hiss.

Japan has a serious issue with airport air conditioning. Everyone was fanning themselves, and this includes Japanese people who are more used to this weather than I am. Our flight was delayed due to mechanical maintenance which took 2 and a half hours. I ended up napping to try to move as little as possible in the heat. I would have explored the airport more, but they herd everyone through a special connecting international flight alley, and if you leave you have to go through customs and all that fun stuff. I didn't know how much time I would have. The flight to Bangkok from Tokyo was not as fun. There were only two screens for the whole back of the plane, and they forced us to watch "Little Fockers" three times in a row. Luckily I slept through most of it. I had chicken and pasta for my third dinner of the trip and then promptly fell asleep for the next 6 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment