Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Sukhothai

Our journey to Sukhothai was 6 hours by charter bus. When we got to the bus station the only food choice we really had was KFC unless we decided to buy a meal coupon and use it to purchase a mystery meal at one of the nearby stalls. I can be adventurous, but I don't want to destroy my vacation with a questionable meal. I got to sit next to Kitti for the whole ride over. He would always lean over and point out each temple or abandoned building we passed and talk about it. The bus showed a movie during the first half of our trip. You did not get to choose if you wanted to watch it or not. They blared the sound for the movie so loud that you couldn't sleep or listen to your own headphones, you just had to sit there and stare at the movie trying to make out what was happening in Thai. It had lots of graphic violence, attacks against women, and slapstick comedy. Oh Thailand. The guide thought the movie was hilarious, so I was obviously missing out by not understanding the Thai language.

Half way through we stopped at a rest stop. Imagine a rundown gas station bathroom. Now imagine it in the middle of nowhere Asia. Oh. My. God. There were two holes and a spray hose. The floor was soaking wet. No toilet paper. No hand soap. There was not enough hand-sanitizer in the world to rectify that experience. Luckily I had toilet paper in my purse which I had to hold balanced on my knees since there was no hook to put it on and the floor was not an acceptable option.


Sukhothai is beautiful. Our hotel was beautiful. All of the rooms where connected to outdoor walkways so we could see the view of the pool. The only issue with that was the we were also very exposed to nature, lots of mosquitoes and geckos. In our room. That night we had dinner at the hotel again while we watched Thai people and tourists alike sing some karaoke to 70s American soft rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment