Sunday, August 14, 2011

Gems, Silver, and Silk. Oh My!

On our second and final day in Chiang Mai, our guide Kitti took us on a tour specially requested by the kindergarten teacher from DC. We started at an enormous jewelry factory where we watched an incredibly dated video showing us the process of making jewelry. Then everyone was set loose to buy inexpensive jewelry of all kinds. I went wild and purchased a charm with a Chinese symbol on it. I don't know why its Chinese and I already forgot what it meant but I like the way it looked and I already had enough elephant souvenirs. It cost me about $3 USD. After that the lovely women working in the show room nicely guided me to the coffee shop where I could sit and wait. They didn't want me wandering around the show room if I wasn't going to buy anything. I think they were disappointed because when I originally told them I was from the US they were following me around more than the others. Apparently Americans are fond of their jewelry.

After that stop we went to a silver jewelry shop and then a silk shop. We saw how the silk was made, worms and all. Yum!


At 3:30 our entire group met in the lobby of the hotel so that we could head to the train station. We were all about to spend the night on the overnight train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok. This was the last night of the Northern Thailand tour, which meant it was my last night of the tour with this group.



No comments:

Post a Comment