Saturday, August 27, 2011

Last Day in Thailand

On the last day, I stayed in the Bangkok Centre Hotel for my third and final time. The kindergarten teacher was interested in visiting the giant outdoor market, and I was interested in taking a nap. No matter where I am in the world, I do not enjoy shopping. Besides, I had no room in my backpack for anything else. I already was throwing away underwear and socks just to get the few souvenirs I did have back home. I slept, I went on the internet, I watched Toy Story and Cars, and I had a delightful coconut milkshake. I thought it was a great way to end the trip.
When the kindergarten teacher returned, it sounded like her shopping experience was a nightmare. From the heat, the crowds, and getting lost in the market and trying to find the metro to ride back, I was very glad I didn't participate.

That evening, we met up with the British couple one last time on Khao San Road.

We did some shopping and had dinner. There were fake IDs for sale and men advertising the Ping Pong show. I decided that was not a Bangkok experience I wanted to have. I ended up buying one last t-shirt. We caught a cab back to the hotel and said our goodbyes to the couple.

I was tired and ready to head back. I could have stayed in Thailand forever, but I needed a break from traveling. It felt like we had been on the move for three weeks straight. When I got back to the hotel I packed and slept a little before we had to go downstairs to meet Kitti. He showed up with his niece, who was apparently there to help keep him awake on the drive to and from the airport. Kitti drives a BMW. I drive a 12 year old Mercury handed down from my parents. I need to be a tour guide in Bangkok.

We got to the airport very early. The ticket counter wasn't even open yet. After checking in for the flight we wandered. There were plenty of duty free stores. I bought a $5 bag of M&Ms for the flight. Thank God international airports don't have normal operating hours, I was able to buy hash browns from Burger King at 3am. When our flight began to load, I had the most thorough search so far on the trip before or after a flight. Apparently Thailand really doesn't want to be responsible for letting people loose around the world with contraband from their country. Even when I ended up back in the States, they didn't even give me a second glance before letting me through. Even though everyone had already gone through security, there was another security check point set up at the gate in Thailand where we were all patted down and had our bags dug through. I am unbelievably grateful that they did not dig through my dirty laundry. I had to throw away my after-burn lotion though, which would be greatly missed.

I only saw the kindergarten teacher briefly after landing in Japan as she was ushered away quickly so she didn't miss her connection. I was sad to be leaving Thailand and hope that I return someday. I recommend visiting Thailand to anyone who is interested in travel. Make sure to look up Kitti when you are there, he gives the best tours around!

Goodbye Thailand, hopefully we will meet again someday soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment