Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Koh Tao

The following morning we were off to our final island, Koh Tao. Another short ferry ride, but this time the ride to the resort was only 15 minutes on the main road. The hotel was positioned on the side of a mountain overlooking the ocean.

We stayed in a bungalow with its own porch broom to keep the millions of little centipedes out. I hadn't seen those anywhere else in Thailand but this island was covered in them.
It had a beautiful open area eating area, that overlooked the beach.


The first day we spent relaxing, the next day we would be going on a snorkeling tour around the island. We went out to the town for a little while but eventually I came back to head to bed early for the evening. Just as I was about to go to sleep the kindergarten teacher and I both saw something large move across the ceiling very rapidly. The only explanation I could think of was some kind of large flying water bug. I spent a little while looking for it but I couldn't see it anymore so I went back to bed. Suddenly, I heard the kindergarten teacher say, "What was that?" and I look over just as she looks down to see a giant bright yellow spider laying just below her chin on the blankets. She screams and throws the blankets off, flinging the spider across the room barely missing my bed. It runs faster than any moving thing I have ever seen under her bed. The kindergarten teacher goes into hulk mode and grabs the bed and flings it across the room. There is the yellow spider, frozen. She grabs one of the gossip magazines sitting on the nightstand and beats it into what I only assume is a pulp, I didn't look over to see it as I find myself for the second night in a row standing on my bed and yelling. I'm glad the bugs didn't start getting this bad until the end of the trip or I don't think I would be able to stand it.


No comments:

Post a Comment